Popular Christmas Toys From the Past 100 Years

Hello there my little Rudolph's! I hope everyone is well. Only 18 more weeks left until Christmas! 

I thought it would be neat to see what kids asked for for Christmas over the years, and what an interesting study in how the times have changed! Things used to be so simple and kids had to use their imaginations...anyway, I am making myself sound old haha. So let's take a walk into the past shall we?

From 1900-1910, all kids wanted a Teddy Bear, of course named after Theodore Roosevelt and the famous bear hunting trip where he refused to kill a bear in an unsportsmanlike way. And hence the Teddy Bear was created. And who wouldn't want a soft cuddly little guy or girl to cart around with them everywhere?

1920s- Crayons and the Raggedy Ann doll were all the rage. Simple and imaginative fun for kids. You can buy a box of crayons for around $5 these days, and in the 20s for around $1.50 for a box (inflation!). 


1930s- The Viewmaster Slide Viewer. Who didn't have one of these? They were amazing! And really, if you think about it, they were like a more boring version of an iPad. Ha! That's a stretch, I know. But it was so fun to collect the different picture discs and it allowed for hours of fun it seemed. I had one of these in the 80s, and I remember loving it! Today these retail for around $20-$30 dollars, so I imagine they were much cheaper in the 1930s.



1940s- "What walks down stairs alone or in pairs, and makes a slinkity sound?" A Slinky of course! Who knew, that this simple creation would allow for hours and hours of fun? And for only $1 in the 1940s, it seemed nearly everyone could afford one. And if you couldn't? Make your own!


1950s- Barbie was the most popular toy in the 50s, therefore launching years of girls feeling terrible about their looks compared to the disproportional Barbie ( I kid, I kid...well, not really). Back in the 1950s, Barbie was modeled after the starlets of the time, and would set parents back a whopping $3. These days, Barbie's come in a few different sizes (not much of a change but they are working on it), and will cost you around $20-$30 depending on the popularity of the doll. 


1960s- Good lord who doesn't remember the Easy Bake Oven? Watching whatever you put in there either work or not (honestly it was 50/50). In 1963 the Easy Bake Oven cost $15.95 for parents (holy moly that seems steep!), whereas today it costs around $50. Once again, inflation. Hopefully the results are a little more predictable. 


1960s- Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots! I mean I had no interest in this toy. Not that I was around in the 60s, but they were still a thing in the 80s. You just punched each other by clicking a button until a robot head popped off? Maybe I am being too judgy....I like punching people's heads off. HAHA! Just kidding. I couldn't find the price of what this cost in the 60s but you can buy it today for around $25.


1970s-Speak and Spell! I loved this toy so much! Does that make me a nerd? Of course everyone remembers the iconic Speak and Spell in E.T. Love that movie. A Speak and Spell in the 1970s retailed for $50!! That seems like so much money for back then, wow. Today a brand new one will set you back around $345. At least it will on Amazon.



1980s- Transformers and Cabbage Patch Kids! Now this was my era of toys, and I loved both. Thankfully I have a little brother so I could get the best of both worlds. A full on Megatron would set you back around $19.99 in 1984. Today? About $100, depending on how big you wanted it. Jeez. I also realize that is not Megatron in the picture below.


Cabbage Patch dolls were THE THING when I was a kid. I had one, and I actually took the oath. HA! Kids are so dumb (just kidding!). No but I loved mine. And at $30 in 1983, I better have. That's a lot of money! These days one will fetch you around $60, so yeah, still expensive for those ugly awesome dolls.

1990s- Ah yes, THE GAMEBOY. How cool was this when it came out in the early 90s? Everyone and their mother wanted a Gameboy. But at $90!!!! I am realizing now why we didn't have one. WHY WERE THEY SO EXPENSIVE? These days they are a fraction of the price and only cost about $30-$50. Although they don't really make them anymore. Nowadays it would be a Nintendo 3DS the kids were going for (I could be wrong!), which retails at around $200.


1990s- I shudder at this one. Furbys. Released in 1998, I was 18-years-old so really did not even realize this was going on. They sure are creeptastic though. At $35, all the kids wanted them. That's not a terrible price for the late 90s. All I remember about these things was that when their batteries started to die it was HORRIFYING. HA! Today, a Furby would set you back around $70, but my question is, why? They are scary. Throw them in the fire you are roasting your chestnuts over. Christmas 2016 had kids clamoring for Hatchimals, another creepy toy I do not understand, that was costing parents hundreds of dollars because they were so hard to find due to supply and demand. I hope your kids love you.

2000s- Announced in 1999, but released in 2000, the PS2 was the new high-tech console that all the kiddies wanted (I know I did!). It retailed for $300 (insert wide eyes here), but my brother got one. That he bought himself because my parents were like *&%$#@#@!!!!. These days, what with technology changing constantly, we are on to the PS4, which cost around a hundred dollars more. I am thankful I don't have any kids, although, I do have a husband.


2010s- Ahhh yes, the toy that adults and children alike ALL ask for these days. First released in 2010, the first gen 16GB cost around $499. No wonder I didn't have one until only a couple of years ago (and a mini at that). Sheesh. My parents would have laughed their heads off if I asked them for something like that as a kid. And then they would have high-fived each other after I stormed off. Now though, the price for a regular old 32GB iPad (you can't even buy 16GB anymore) has dropped down to $449. Imagine that. Much more affordable for your kids to drop in the toilet.

And there you have it Kris Kringles! My questions to you are: would you spend a lot of money on something knowing it would make your kid happy (hopefully for a while!), AND, what was your favourite toy you received as a kid during the holidays?

Comments