10 Christmas Stories to Read for the Holidays

January 26, 2017

Who doesn't love a great story? Especially one that takes place during the magic of Christmas. Here are some of my personal favorites, as well as a few I have yet to read!

1. A Christmas Carol- Charles Dickens: A classic and probably my favorite story to read/ hear/ watch for the holiday season. So many good movie versions as well.

2. The Night Before Christmas-A poem by Clement Moore: Most kids who celebrate Christmas will know this one! Especially the lovely vision of Sugar Plum Fairies dancing in your head. Maybe the most nostalgic book on this list for me.

3. The Polar Express-Chris Van Allsburg: I have not had the pleasure of reading the book, but I have seen the movie, and I LOVED it. Just a lovely story about a boy re-discovering his love for Christmas. Now I want to watch the movie again!

4. Skipping Christmas-John Grisham: This is another book I have not read, but I am VERY familiar with the story as I LOVE the movie that is based off this book...Christmas with the Kranks! Really funny, heartwarming, and just overall a good one. I imagine the book is probably better than the movie! (Time for me to put this one in my Chapters/ Indigo cart).

5. Letters from Father Christmas- J.R.R. Tolkien: Another book I have yet, but need, to read! Written between 1920 and 1942 for his children, it is a tale about what Santa Claus gets up to every year, and the adventures he goes on with all his little sidekicks. I love that he wrote a yearly installment of a story for his kids. 

6. Chicken Soup for the Soul: Merry Christmas!-Amy Newmark: If you enjoy feel good, moralistic/ sad stories around this time of year, then this book would be for you. I have not read this book specifically, but I know how the Chicken Soups go. Cry-worthy goodness. Add the holidays and Christmas in, we have a winner.

7. The Christmas List-Richard Paul Evans: A modern day Christmas Carol, this book depicts the protagonist righting all the wrongs he has done to people over the years when he watches how people respond to news of his (fake) death. A page-turner and a heart-melter all in one.

8. Harry Potter Series-J.K. Rowling: So I know these don't technically take place during the holidays, but the holiday and winter scenes in the book series (and movies!) are amazing. When I think of the Harry Potter books, I most definitely think of Hogwarts in the snow, the huge Christmas feasts, and of course the Yule Ball. They are very nostalgic of Christmas for me!

9. How the Grinch Stole Christmas- Dr. Seuss: Another classic for this list. Almost everyone knows about the tiny-hearted Grinch who tries to ruin everyone's Christmas. But this feel-good children's book is a heart-warming tale that is sure to delight children who have never heard it before, and give the adults reading it to them all the nostalgic feelings of Christmas' past.

10. Little Women-Louisa May Alcott: Although Little Women does not necessarily take place during Christmas, the beginning of the book does, and all the images Alcott paints of that time of year are wonderful (to me anyway!). Pair that with an amazing book for readers young and old, and you'll want to curl up during the holidays, with a blanket and a hot cup of coffee, and read to your hearts content.

Now I want to know what your personal holiday favorites are! Let me know your favorite books to read during the holidays, or even year round, that give you a good old dose of Christmas nostalgia.

I hope you are all enjoying the month of January (it is almost over!). Only 332 days left until Christmas!

No comments :

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS